Your classic egg and cheese bagel sandwich with a spicy twist: add Korean gochujang chili paste to your cream cheese or mayo for a pleasant, savory, spicy kick. Rich cheesy eggs and creamy eggs avocado balance the flavorful cream cheese.
Breakfast Bagel Sandwich with Gochujang and Avocado
Servings: 1 to 2
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon gochujang, to taste
- 1/4 cup mayo or cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- A pinch of salt
- Vinegar, to taste
- 2 to 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or mashed
- A handful of grated cheese, such as cheddar or mozzarella
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo or cream cheese, gochujang, garlic, a small pinch of salt and a teaspoon of vinegar, or more to taste.
- Add the eggs to a medium bowl and mix them using a fork. Dip the cut side of the bagel in egg, only enough to coat the surface. If easier, use a pastry brush to brush the bagel surface with egg. Dip each bagel half in sesame seeds. Press the bagel with your palm to get the sesame seeds to stick.
- Fry the bagel sesame seed side down, in a medium pan for 1 1/2 minutes to 2 minutes until the sesame seeds look golden brown.
- Cook the eggs to your preference, scrambled, fried, sunny side up, etc. Sprinkle with cheese on top.
- Assemble the sandwich: place the bottom of the bagel on a plate, spread the gochujang mayo or cream cheese, add the eggs, avocado, salt and pepper, and any remaining gochujang mayo or cream cheese on top. Slice and serve.