Table of contents
I can’t be the only person that started the year off with a lengthy cold and a sore throat. Whenever I’m feeling under the weather, this super simple lemon garlic soup is a must. Thinly sliced garlic cloves sizzled in olive oil and infused with freshly grated lemon zest will make the base for our lemon garlic soup. We simmer homemade or store-bought bone broth with the lemon and garlic and partially poach a couple of eggs right in the soup.
You’ll notice this lemon garlic soup was made for a single serving, since it’s so quick and easy to make, it’s best served fresh. If you’re making this for a crowd, the lemon garlic soup ingredients should be easy to multiply.
The best part about making this recipe? It might be a tie between the fragrant garlic and lemon zest perfuming the oil or the satisfying yolk breaking moment once the soup is served. The yolk bring a silky richness to the soup without overpowering the existing flavors.
If you want to keep things vegan, consider the eggs optional. If you want a similar consistency to the egg-laced version, try adding some coconut milk, aquafaba or a cornstarch slurry to the simmering soup for a richer consistency.
Lemon Garlic Soup — The Easy 5-Minute Get-Well-Soon Soup
Cook: 5 minutes
Total: 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium lemon
- 2 cups (16 oz) chicken bone broth
- 2 eggs
- Kosher salt
- Fresh parsley, for serving
- In a small pot (about 2-quarts) over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic slices and zest half of the lemon in the oil using a microplane and avoiding the white lemon pith. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant or until the garlic is slightly golden on the edges.
- Carefully add the bone broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Season with a hefty pinch of salt.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl, while keeping the yolk intact. Gently stir the soup to create a vortex in the center. Drop the eggs down the vortex and poach for 2 minutes, until the egg white is opaque, but the egg yolk is wobbly to the touch.
- Add the eggs to a serving bowl and pour the soup on top. Squeeze half of the lemon in, plus more to taste.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve right away.